Thursday, November 10, 2005

As Good As It Gets

I started watching As Good As It Gets at 1:00 in the morning, while trying to endure preperations for my colonoscopy on Thursday. For those of who have been through it or know I am not going to go into any more details. Yet, I caught the perfect part of the movie, the trip. Perfect timing, I thought to myself. As I continued to watch the movie, I was in anticipation of my favorite part. The part of the movie that has this place in my heart. For anyone who has seen the movie, knows exactly what I am talking about. It is where Helen Hunt's character, Carol, is already becoming a bit sof to Jack Nicholson's character, Melvin, who is completly nerotic. The three of them (Carol, Melvin and Simon - the gay artist, who is the reason for the trip, he is here to visit his parents to make things right.) arrive at there hotel and Carol (Helen Hunt) wants to " go out for a night on the town" (so to say), when Simon isn't up to it she looks at Melvin (Jack Nicholson) and tells him the he is her date.When they arrive athe resturant, he is told it is a "coat and tie" facility, he goes out and buys and coat and tie while leaving Carol, to wait upon him. When he arrives, she almost tells him he looks sexy. They sit down and because of Melvin's disorder and his misunderstanding of how to interact with people, he insults Carol, she threatens to walk out and leave him in the resturant unless he compliments her. He asks her to sit back down, and at that moment he gives her the best compliment of her life. The scene continues like this and becomes one of the greatest movie quotes of all time:


Melvin: I've got a really great compliment for you, and it's true.
Carol: I'm so afraid you're about to say something awful.
Melvin: Don't be pessimistic, it's not your style. Okay, here I go: Clearly, a mistake. I've got this, what - ailment? My doctor, a shrink that I used to go to all the time, he says that in fifty or sixty percent of the cases, a pill really helps. I *hate* pills, very dangerous thing, pills. Hate. I'm using the word "hate" here, about pills. Hate. My compliment is, that night when you came over and told me that you would never... well, you were there, you know what you said. Well, my compliment to you is, the next morning, I started taking the pills. Carol: I don't quite get how that's a compliment for me.
Melvin: You make me want to be a better man.
Carol: ...That's maybe the best compliment of my life.
Wow! Okay, there is more and to why that this one quote is worth writing an entire blog on . Because even though this quote was orginally said in a movie and he admitted to that before saying it. Some people may say that was a cheap shot, and unorginal but I say "it was the best compliment of my life". It wasn't all about what he said, it how he said it, with sincerity and complete love in his voice. Because he so much like Jack Nicholson, in the movie, always had trouble expressing how he felt and what I meant to him. So, that touched my heart on the deepest level. For as long as I know how and for as long as God tells me, I will continue to encourage him, and continue to point him to the throne of God through my encouragement.
That evening was memorable on so many levels. From the beginning to the end. Though all of our dreams we discussed aren't possible right now, it doesn't mean they won't ever come to pass. It just means that right now, we are doing - that he is doing - exactly what God wants us to. Sometimes we just get a bit ahead of ourselves. Sometime we know what we want to happen in our hearts and we can't imagine it happening any other way, but God has another plan. The perfect plan. And though things didn't work out just how I would have liked, I know that God is in control and there is no other way that I would want it to be than in His will.
Read the following quote, and know that if you want to make that special someone in your life feel that way, special. Tell them.
"I might be the only person on the face of the earth that knows you're the greatest woman on earth. I might be the only one who appreciates how amazing you are in every single thing that you do, and how you are with Spencer, "Spence," and in every single thought that you have, and how you say what you mean, and how you almost always mean something that's all about being straight and good. I think most people miss that about you, and I watch them, wondering how they can watch you bring their food, and clear their tables and never get that they just met the greatest woman alive. And the fact that I get it makes me feel good, about me." -Melvin (Jack Nicholson): As Good As It Gets

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home